Ellen DeGeneres Show sued over music licensing

Moderators: jdenver, muzicmann1, heff

nick91406
Site Admin

Ellen DeGeneres Show sued over music licensing

Post by nick91406 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 am

>>The four largest record companies ... have sued the producers of "The ELLEN DEGENERES Show," accusing them of using songs without permission. The daytime show, which averages about three million viewers daily, features host DEGENERES dancing to popular songs selected by a deejay.

The lawsuit, which seeks an unspecified amount of damages, said "The ELLEN DEGENERES Show" has used more than 1,000 songs without permission. It was filed WEDNESDAY in federal court in NASHVILLE.

----------------------------------

My question: Since when is a syndicated show required to have a music license? In my experience, it has always been the individual stations broadcasting the show, that were responsible for the licensing of any music.

nick91406
Site Admin

Re: Ellen DeGeneres Show sued over music licensing

Post by nick91406 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:50 am

Music on Ellen D. Show
Any music used on a network or syndicated radio or tv show must be licensed upfront prior to performance. Likewise, any music in films. Individual broadcasters also must be licensed for any music they are using, either live or recorded, that originates from their studios. Hard to believe the producers of Ellen's show thought they could get away with this.

nick91406
Site Admin

Re: Ellen DeGeneres Show sued over music licensing

Post by nick91406 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 am

"ELLEN" SHOW LAWSUIT
They asked the "Ellen" show reps why they didn't get the music licensed and they get the response:

"We don't roll that way"

HELLO !!!
That is the most retarded ass backward response I've ever heard in my life ! ( What kind of stupid idiots is Ellen hiring ? )
Well, boys and girls , you're "rollin" now , first to the lawyer's office than either to the bank ( to write a settlement check ) or to a courtroom ( to put up and probably lose a fight ).
Note to Ellen , hire some legal and PR people who know what they're doing .