WANT REVENGE??? Turn 'em in ...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
ccformer

WANT REVENGE??? Turn 'em in ...

Post by ccformer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:56 pm

Reading what someone else posted about protesting license renewals (more on that below) got me to thinking about this. You want revenge against the big groups? Report any violations you know of to the FCC field office nearest you. Unfortunately, the CC cluster where I was laid off has a great engineer, and there aren't any problems. But as he's sick of it there and is giving notice after Thanksgiving, he coached me for this post.

The main things stations get fined for these days are EAS, tower lights and the public inspection file. If you know that EAS tests were missed (there is a lot of that these days with automated stations), call the FCC. If you know that a tower light is out and hasn't been reported to the FAA, call the FCC. If any of your stations has gone longer than 24 hours without checking tower lights, call the FCC. If the public file isn't being properly maintained, call the FCC. CC has a system in place for public files that probably keeps this from being a problem in its markets. BUT, if you were the person who did the PF, and were let go, rat 'em out, as things like listener comments and political files may not be up to date. The CC layoffs were in October, and some places had November elections. You could even go one step further and have someone you know walk in and ask to see the PF. If nobody's left who knows how to show them, they can call the FCC from right there in the lobby. But act now, as they may scramble to correct problems after seeing this post. If you have records, though, you can take your time. If you're worried about this harming your severance, don't. You may be able to make the reports anonymously. And even if you can't, you're protected by whistleblower laws, regardless of that agreement we all signed.

Now, as far as protesting license renewals … If you end up working for a competitor, don't protest. You want these companies to continue down these paths, as it will help out your new employer. If you do protest, a couple of things that could be mentioned include severe weather coverage, where they let one EAS run, and that's it, because they're automated. “I turned on the radio to find out more about the storm, and didn't hear a thing.” And the other is where the station is licensed to an outlying community, but concentrates only on the larger city in the region. Have people in the city of license complain. You could even post something on Craigslist or another site encouraging them to do so.

I know I've probably forgotten a few things. Hopefully someone will add more in the comments section.

ccformer

Re: WANT REVENGE??? Turn 'em in ...

Post by ccformer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:08 pm

That's more of the way I am acting; just letting it ride to see what happens. I come up with these ideas, but admittedly am too wimpy to act on many of them. But as far as damaging a career, I know two people who have filed FCC complaints against employers, and were never found out. One is still working at the same place where she did it 15 years ago, and they never knew who did it. She was successful in getting her scumbag GM fired because of a $25,000 fine. The other also is still in the business, somewhere else, with no repercussions. He did it to the place that fired him, and cost them 15 grand.

ccformer

Post by ccformer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 pm

I got word from a former Cumulus person that they called the FCC with a rather lengthy list of violations at their former cluster. So far no word if anyone has done this to my ex-employer. I asked the person who did this to let me know how long it takes the inspectors to act on his tip. I'll pass on anything I find out.

ccformer

Post by ccformer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Did anyone else see this? I am staying clear of this, but it's interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyClearChannel

datwood

Post by datwood » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:59 am

@ccformer

It's sad to see how much of your energy is involved in something as petty as revenge...imagine using your time & efforts to: a) improve your skills, b) upgrade your education, c) surround yourself with people with upside and think in a forward direction (instead of others who want to waste time with a negative directive such as revenge).

Revenge will not make you a better person...will not increase your value to a potential client/employer either.

Getting revenge will never change history...so quit spinning your wheels and do something FOR YOURSELF.

Want REAL REVENGE?

Live a BETTER life.