Pay "comparable" to the market..

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
thecheese

Pay "comparable" to the market..

Post by thecheese » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 pm

That seems to suggest there is, somewhere in the deep recesses of the Great Tome of Radio Knowledge, a handy reference chart outlining what one might expect to earn in each market.

</SARCASM>

Maybe we should post our markets and our pay in one neat and tidy thread?

I'll start: Out in the sticks, talking mostly to cows on Saturdays, $9.50/hr

zebster

Re: Pay "comparable" to the market..

Post by zebster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 am

Feel free to not apply.

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 am

There is a site that provides a pretty accurate payscale analysis for radio and even shows what companies are paying what in each market. I've posted a link on here twice.

And there are still companies that will pay you a decent wage in a mid size market. I work at one now. No, won't get rich. Nope, not the only breadwinner in my family. But I've found that almost all of my peers have two income households in order to make ends meet.

Although you don't need a degree to do this, having taught at CSB, I do know that for the money, you will learn how to do pretty much everything in TV & Radio broadcast and that at least in the market I was in, they did a hell of a job placing grads in internships and real jobs within the industry.

Then again, I've ALWAYS supplemented my radio income with other things. So you do what you have to to support your radio habit. It's just the way it goes in this industry. Don't expect it to get any better.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm

lol, yeah.. click on the link and it says 20k to 106k.. then enter your name, address, date of your last physical, shoe size, last time you've had crabs, email address, and then after all that, it tells you that you can expect to make 20k to 106k

I guess i'm just naive enough to ask for real numbers from real people in the industry, on an industry website rather than jump through hoops.

ronnie2057

Post by ronnie2057 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 am

Just saw a program director job in a market where afternoon drive once earned between $50-55K in the late 1980s. This job is paying, per the ad, mid thirties.

The 80-90 Docket, The Tuck Rule, and The Telecom Act of 1996 completely changed the economics of radio.

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:16 am

Better than the $6k CC will pay to VT it.