Larry Lujack is dead...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
joeike

Re: Larry Lujack is dead...

Post by joeike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm

For those of you who choose to discount Larry Lujack's impact on personality radio, why use this forum?
Lujack's impact on the industry and the people who decided to use him as a reference point for their start in the industry makes him special. This isn't about other jocks who were well-known. This is about a man, a personality, in an era of radio when personality meant something and made people listen. The industry should remember that lesson.

dylan923

Post by dylan923 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:06 am

OKAY. Countryboy, so it's obvious you're not a Larry Lujak fan, big deal. You cannot simply write off a broadcasting legend because you think Disco Duck boy was more relevant than a guy who has undoubtedly influenced more people to go into radio than anyone else in the business. Larry Lujak was a big ad Imus, Stern, Bill Mack, or any of the others you choose to name. I grew up in Nashville and used to listen to Lujack and Landecker more than ANY of the local Nashville stations, and they are plentiful.

Just because you don't think he was relevant doesn't make it the truth. The guy was as big of a radio legend as it gets whether you want to admit this fact or not. And all the temper tantrum throwing on the planet won't change the fact that you're wrong on this one, just deal with it. And in reading the rest of your argumentative and condescending comments, it becomes painfully obvious Countryboy, that you're not only a legend in your OWN mind, but you're walking a very thin line between being a contributor and a troll. Nobody gives a shit if you were at the Grammys, lots of us have been to the Grammys. BIG DEAL.

Larry Lujak was an inspiration to countless people during his heyday. Will we be able to say the same thing about you when you're gone? I think we all know the answer to that one already.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 pm

dylan923 wrote:OKAY. Countryboy, so it's obvious you're not a Larry Lujak fan, big deal. You cannot simply write off a broadcasting legend because you think Disco Duck boy was more relevant
You're wrong. I just never heard him on the radio, because I didn't grow up in the Midwest. I grew up in New York City. We had our own legends in NY, and those stations blocked out WLS and WCFL, so I never heard him. You can't be influenced by someone you never heard. That's one of the things about local radio. Had he done some national work, like Dick Clark or Rick Dees, that would have been different, and I might have heard him. Anyone who grew up on the East or West coast didn't. That's a lot of people. And he retired from the radio a long time ago, so a lot of younger people never heard him either

dylan923

Post by dylan923 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Rick Dees isn't in the same solar system with Larry Lujack when it comes to personality radio. Go ask Howard Stern what he thinks of Larry Lujack, he's another native New Yorker and I'd bet a dollar to a dime Howard knows exactly who he is..