Alternatives to Slacker for offline streaming of radio?

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

dorlow

Alternatives to Slacker for offline streaming of radio?

Post by dorlow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:09 pm

So, a few months back, I had my factory car radio swapped out with an aftermarket radio. At the time, I was deciding if I wanted satellite radio installed. One, I didn't want my radio that I'm paying $10 a month for to only be avaiabe in my car. So, I found Slacker and decided I'll just sign up for that and not get satellite radio. My radio has bluetooth. I'm very limited on mobile data. So, slacker at night downloads a day worth of music. I can listen to it in my car not using any cell data. I also have a job that I listen to music most of the day at my job. Works nice. I can listen to 8+ hours of music a day and not use any cell data.

But I'm starting to find that I think Slacker's music playlists are very small. I'm listening to the same few stations. For instance, 90s rock. 90's rock is 10 years worth of music. I keep hearing the same songs over and over.

Are there any other services out there they offer something similar that would allow me to download music offline? I don't want to pick and choose the music. I just want to pick the genre of music. I like the idea that I might hear something I haven't thought of in a while.

I was thinking XM would be nice, but I'm pretty sure they don't offer offline listening.

heasinfer

Re: Alternatives to Slacker for offline streaming of radio?

Post by heasinfer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 pm

I know you guys so much, that I have to answer this question.