Streaming Programs

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, jdenver, rogerwimmer

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Streaming Programs

Post by rogerwimmer » Mon May 10, 2010 12:13 pm

I am producing a new music format with the intent to offer it to radio stations via the Internet, as opposed to via satellite. I am curious if you know if there are streaming services (or other options) available that would allow me to provide broadcast-quality programming to stations so that they would essentially log onto an Internet site and broadcast the stream over their existing radio equipment, with no degrading of quality, simply by hooking up their PC to their board. - Anonymous

Anon: I didn't know the answer to your question, and it took me a while to find someone who knows everything about this area. Sorry for the delay.

I contacted BC, from bcvoiceover.com, and this is a paraphrase of what he said:

The Internet is too unreliable to consider such a service. There are always power outages and other problems with signals. Using the Internet to stream a program such as you suggest would not be a good idea, especially since we operate in a time-sensitive business.

A better alternative would be to convert your program into MP3 files. You would probably want to produce the show in 15-minute segments to allow the radio stations flexibility for inserting commercials and other materials. The only thing you would have to do is email the MP3 files to the radio station. They could air the program at their convenience and even repeat it at a later time. With this approach, you wouldn't have to worry about problems with the Internet.

There ya go. I want to thank BC for his help.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.

rogerwimmer

Re: Streaming Programs

Post by rogerwimmer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks for that. I was thinking about things along the same line. It seems to be a much more reliable way of sending things out. - Anonymous

Anon: You're welcome.
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.