Radio Research Methods

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, jdenver, rogerwimmer

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Radio Research Methods

Post by rogerwimmer » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:41 am

Hi, Dr. Wimmer: Which are the most commonly used methodologies in radio research to create a format or to improve a radio station's performance? Where can I get more information about it? Thanks in advance for your help. Keep up the great work! - Anonymous

Anon: Hi to you too. I'll try to keep up the "great work." Thanks and on to your question . . .

There are a variety of ways in radio research to look for a new format or to improve a station's performance, but the least expensive way that is both reliable and valid is a telephone perceptual study. While a telephone study isn't cheap, it costs far less than conducing individual interviews or focus groups with 400 to 500 respondents.

Format Search. The questionnaire for a format search study includes several sections, including, but not limited to: (1) Finding out the type of music (or news/talk/sports) the listeners like; (2) The radio stations available in the area that provide that entertainment; and (3) How well the radio stations are doing in providing that/those format(s). The information from these areas, and a few others, are used to determine which formats, if any, are available.

Improve Performance. In most situations, this type of perceptual study involves two sections: (1) How the respondents rate the importance of a series of radio programming elements; and (2) How they rate one or more radio stations on those elements. This process follows the three steps for success I have mentioned hundreds of times in this column: (1) Find out what the listeners want; (2) Give it to them; and (3) Tell them that you gave it to them.

More information? Unfortunately, there aren't many publicly available sources that discuss radio research methods. I don't like pushing my own information, but the only source I know that discusses all radio research methods is the research book I wrote with Joe Dominick – Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 9th Edition.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.